Our Church History »

  • 1886 Planted by Protestant Missionary Manuel Ricardo Martin. Rev. James P. Root agent of Rhode Island Bible Society. "Gospel Mission" 34 Link St., Prov., RI 02906
  • 1891 Central Congregational Church assumed responsibility for the mission.
  • 1905 As a Mission of Central Congregational Church it was opened for services.
  • 1915 - 1938 As the "Portuguese Chapel" with the first Pastor, Rev. Marian Jones
  • 1950 Under the Pastorate of Rev. Asa J. Davis, with Independence from Central Congregation it because "The Sheldon Street Congregational Church"
  • 1967 The Church merged with Union Baptist Church and became "Sheldon Street Church." UCC/ABC